Tuesday 25 June 2013

Mark Making

Looking at my photographs there is a lot of emphasis on texture. With this in mind I decided to look at doing my own interpretations of this by using mark making techniques and a variety of tools. Using items that can be found around the house as well as brushes and other artist tools, I was able to produce different textures and ideas for print and stamping techniques which I am going to develop for fabric sampling.
I think this one in particular works really well. By using acrylic paint and a textured piece of polystyrene I stamped the surface of the paper leaving behind this interesting texture. I experimented with colour and layering to allow depth to the work. Because of the colour combination the marks seem to blur together and leave a cluster of shapes similar to the rust photographs that I have taken.
I used the same principle as above for this painting but I used a bright yellow background so that the shapes that are formed by the stamp stand out more. Both the paintings seem to have a pixel-like quality to them but with a expressive twist. I am keen to develop these further possibly into repeat pattern ideas or manipulated more in the print and embroidery workshops. I am also going to carry on with experimenting with different tools to create texture so that I have a variety to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment