Tuesday 2 July 2013

Inspiration: Lyndie Dourthe

After researching into distressed surfaces I began looking at techniques to create this effect along with bringing in my floral influences as well. For my florals to blend into my concept I have been looking at more darker and dramatic hues, looking at withered flowers and foilage to represent the distressed and decaying of rust moss and metals as well as the coming of autumn and winter through decaying floral forms and petals. 

With this in mind I began looking at techniques that could represent this. I came across the designer Lyndie Dourthe and her floral collection titled 'Botanica'. Using paper and fabric she creates these very realistic flowers with the use of inks and dyes to create a kind of vintage aesthetic but with a modern twist. Each flower is delicately hand-dyed and the colours are restrained but vibrant.
I particularly like the use of darker black or brown dyes on the tips of the petals and could easily be done with dip dying of fabrics or paper giving a dramatic effect. This effect also reminds me of a withering burn effect.
restrained, but vibrant
The delicate hand-dyed papers and restrained, but vibrant colors make each flower a work of art. - See more at: http://anthologymag.com/blog3/2012/05/15/paper-flowers-by-lyndie-dourthe/#sthash.KGwHfvJe.dpuf
The delicate hand-dyed papers and restrained, but vibrant colors make each flower a work of art. - See more at: http://anthologymag.com/blog3/2012/05/15/paper-flowers-by-lyndie-dourthe/#sthash.KGwHfvJe.dpuf
hand-dyed papers and restrained, but vibrant colors make each flower a work of art - See more at: http://anthologymag.com/blog3/2012/05/15/paper-flowers-by-lyndie-dourthe/#sthash.KGwHfvJe.dpuf
I also like the delicacy of the flowers and I could simulate this using various thin papers such as tissue paper and fabrics like silk and organza.
Using these techniques as inspiration I am going to experiment with my own use of ink and dyes to create similar ideas for my project as I feel this will work really well with my concept and the style of work that I want to portray.

More of her work can be found here: http://lyndiedourtheworks.blogspot.co.uk/p/natiralia.html

No comments:

Post a Comment